Skip to content
Secondary Menu »

Ending State Employment

Ending Employment ImageIf you are preparing to leave employment with the State of Utah this information will help guide you through the process whether you are resigning or retiring. Please keep in mind this is a helpful resource provided by Division of Human Resource Management (DHRM), your agency may have additional steps or processes you must follow as well.

If you are not retiring from state employment, to learn more about what leave types are eligible for payout at separation, click here.

Important note:  Terminating employees will not have access to view pay statements or W2 information in ESS or their state email account after last day worked.


If you are resigning employment with the state, here are some helpful reminders:

  1. Notify both your supervisor and your local human resource office in person, via email or letter.
  2. If you are benefits eligible employee, your benefits will end according to your hire date.  Prior to 2003 – benefits end the same day you receive your final check.  After 2003 – benefits end on the last day of the pay period you leave state employment.
  3. Contact PEHP at 801-366-7555 for coordination of COBRA benefits.
  4. Contact URS at 801-366-7770 for information about 401k/457 accounts.
  5. Contact any voluntary benefit providers for options (if any) for post employment continuation.
  6. Return any state issued equipment such as laptops, purchasing cards, ID badges, office equipment, UTA Transit passes, etc.

Useful Resources:


The Employee Resource Information Center (ERIC) processes all retirements for state employees except for the employees of Department of Transportation.  If you are interested in retiring you will need to start the process at least three months prior to your expected retirement date.  Please review the information and resources on the Retirement page.

Site SettingsSettings