An employee’s official name for the State of Utah is the name printed on the employee’s Social Security Card. Using the name on the Social Security Card ensures that Social Security wages are credited properly to the employee’s account.
If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, a court order, or for any other reason, you must notify Social Security so that you can get a corrected card.
The following steps are required to have a name changed on personnel and payroll records:
- Apply at the local Social Security Administration office for a Social Security Card with the new name.
- Complete a new IRS Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate, Form W-4, using the new name. See Update a W-4 Form for details.
- Submit the original Form W-4, with a copy of the new Social Security Card, to your Human Resource Office or directly to State Payroll.
- Complete change forms for both the Public Employees Health Plan (PEHP) and the Utah Retirement Systems (URS), attaching required documents. The name change can be completed on the same forms used to add and/or change beneficiaries.
- To change your name in Gmail, submit a help ticket to your IT Administrator.
State Payroll is responsible for updating personnel and payroll systems to match the new Social Security card. PEHP and URS will complete all requested changes to the member’s records.
Complete change forms for both Public Employees Health Plan (PEHP) and Utah
Retirement Systems (URS), attaching the required documents. The name change can be completed on the same forms used to add and/or change beneficiaries.
The PEHP form is on the PEHP Web site at http://www.pehp.org.
The URS form is located on the Online Forms page of the URS Web site at http://www.urs.org. For beneficiary designation changes to be made at any time, fill out and return by mail or FAX the URS Beneficiary Designation Form (MECF-1).